Washer bottle relocation on a budget!

 I managed to pick up a washer fluid bottle relocation tank when I first got the MX5 for £15.  After carrying out some research it appears to be from 'Universal Intercoolers'. It comes in a kit which basically makes this whole post pointless, but I got it second hand as just the relocation tank. 

The original kit is illustrated below. 


It includes a pump, wiring, hose line, and the relocation tank. If you look at the tank  on the bottom left corner, you can see the fitting for the hose to push onto. This means the pump does not mount to the tank and requires additional mounting. 

My idea is to remove the nib and replace with a hole and grommet for the OEM washer bottle pump. 


Firstly, I cut the nib off with a hacksaw. As you can see in the picture, it sits pretty close to the corner, if i were to drill the original hole position it would have no wall thickness left for a grommet.



Basically, I center punched more to the left and up from that hole so that when I drill the hole for the size of my grommet, the outer circumference of the new hole just covers the original. Makes sense? 😛






As you can see, there is plenty of meat all around the hole. Its low enough to allow washer fluid to flow to the pump nicely. 





From the top of my head, I drilled the hole to 20.3mm (measure your pump and grommet) to accommodate the factory pump grommet. De-burr the hole so you do not tear the grommet!.




Factory washer bottle pump and grommet installed 







All that is left is to extended the factory wiring, its just two wires so nice and easy! I routed mine through the firewall and tucked along the clutch lines so it is not noticeable. 

You will have to drill a hole in the firewall to mount one end of the tank, the other end shares a wing/fender bolt. 


 



The wiring is tucked tightly against the firewall so it avoids the wiper mechanism!






Relocating the washer bottle tank creates a lot of room in the bay for a Turbo set up, ram horn style headers, or even a big 'ol V8 (or in my case a V6)!


I found that because the washer jet pipes are now a lot shorter, the actual jet pressure seemed way better than stock!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fuel Tank Restoration Guide

Introduction to my blog!